Sunday, November 9, 2008

Just Wondering Who I Am

A commenter stated they were wondering who I am. As am I.

How does one describe oneself? Most will begin by stating their careers. But that isn't who one is, that is what he or she does. Or one may describe things he or she enjoys or dislikes. Again, these are just things done. Ok, so move on the personality and physical characteristics. "I'm trustworthy. I have red hair. I'm 5'8" tall." Well these things can be transient. Events may happen in one's life to where one has to compromise his or her morals, rendering him or her trustworthy no more. When one ages, his or her hair may turn gray and he or she may get shorter due to compression of the spine. Yet, one is still the same person. So what is this you that never changes? The you that exists in your mind, despite the fact that every 7 years the cells in your body regenerate and your biological self is completely different.

I believe it is nearly impossible to express to others, or oneself, who it is one really is. It is an idea that is intangible and incommunicable, yet taken for granted all too often. Heraclitus, Pythagoras, and Socrates have all been known, among others, for the expression, "know thyself." It seems such a simple task, and most would deem someone insane for stating that they didn't know who they were. Yet in reality, no one knows who he or she is. We just have a feel for the me in our mind, and when asked to express it, cannot.

1 comment:

ADG said...

Wudnt u say the question of "Who Am I?" is meaningless at best?